Sunday, November 2, 2008

Audacity

When leaving my first session, I was given a CD of it and was asked "Is it cool if I make this an AIF file?" To which I enthusiastically said yes to, and was very excited that I knew what that was because of tech trends class. Even though I plan on doing the actual editing in my engineers studio, I thought it would be fun and interesting to explore the capabilities of Audacity that we downloaded for class with recordings of myself. The first thing I did was utilize the hard limiter function, which took out some of the abrasiveness picked up by the mikes. I then experimented with equalization to try and get an even better volume from all parts of the instrument. I felt that the reverb (or GVerb) was a little complicated and also produced kind of an unrealistic reverb effect that, while it sounded very cool, it distorted the actual sound way to much (even with just a little bit added) to send into a competition. But it did make me sound very good, so I will definitely utilize it at some point when making recordings not for review!

No comments: